Sunday, May 20, 2012

Catching fish

Headed out at 10 am this morning to try my luck at the beaver dam.  About 30 minutes in, I hooked my largest bass to date with a Berkley GULP golby minnow and a weighted shaky jig head.  I used my Pro Qualifier Bass Pro Shops bait caster and my Ugly Stick.

The fish weighed in at 2 lbs, 14 ounces.



I caught it in a small beaver pond that most people dont even know about, or fish in.  It is PACKED full of weeds, but I think this is "average" for the bass that are swimming around in there.  You have to use weedless methods to fish here, nothing else will work.  I found a bunch of blue gill beds and started fishing those, had one on that was at least as big as this one, maybe bigger, but it spit the hook before I could set it good.  I caught a couple of 1 pounders around the blue gills.

We will venture back to this hole in a few weeks, just me and the wife, and maybe we can land a couple more of these lunkers.

One down side, got a nasty birds nest in my bait caster and when I was trying to get it back to my tackle box to fix it, I got one of the jig heads halfway through my middle finger.  Bled like a stuck pig, but not bad now.

Time to get a shower, go pick up some chicken to grill, and swig a few Bud Light Limes.  Life is GOOD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment