Let's start with the fishing trip. Fishing was awesome! I have never felt anything like the fight of a blue catfish in the current of the Mighty Mississippi. I am sure one day when I can get to the ocean and fight sharks I will think differently, but for now this is the highlight of my fishing career! There was something very cool about hauling in big, beautiful fish with the Saint Louis arch at our backs.
This is the first time either of us had seen Saint Louis, so it was neat to be there. Let me say I am NOT a city dude, I hate the hustle and the bustle and the 1000 intersections and one way streets, but other then that, it was cool to see.
The weather was awesome for us. Near 80 and sun with a great breeze coming off the water. We motored out and drop the lines and we drifted, and within 10 minutes we both had a fish on the line. From there, the action never really stopped. In 6 hours we caught 34 total fish. My 3 largest were an 18, a 21, and a 36 pounder. My wife's largest for the day was a 17 that she caught while I was at WAR with the 36 pounder.
We marked some under the boat MUCH bigger, but the captain thought the warm spring had them spawning already which gives them lock jaw. Next year we will head out there either in early April or the warm months of August to try and get a true MONSTER FISH.
Let me explain how this works. You bait up 2 hooks with some cut up Skip Jack. You have 2 HUGE sinkers on the bottom. Toss it over the edge of the boat, let go to the bottom, then wait. The sinkers bounce as you drift down river and the blue cats inhale the bait if it crosses their paths. The strange part was the rods didnt bend when you had a fish, they went slack as the catfish lifted the sinkers. If you didnt immediately start reeling as fast as you could to set the hook, the fish would spit it and you would miss. Once you set the hook, you then had to fight the rod out of the holder then hang on for a battle. We caught 34, but I bet we missed 10 or more not realizing the technique. Once we had it, we were smashing them. And let me tell you, when you get a blue cat on, you have a fight on your hands. My biceps, lats, forearms, etc. were cramping and sore for a few days after.
If you are interested in smashing some HUGE blue cats, check out www.showmecatfishing.com and go out with Ryan and his dad Dennis. You wont be disappointed, and you just might catch the fish of a lifetime!
Training.
Training is going well. I am now squatting 3 days a week, twice back squats and once front squats. The rest of my workouts are very basic. Pull-ups, bench, curls, dips and of course cardio cardio cardio. Knees feel good and I am starting to feel stronger again. FINALLY.
Other then that, we are just enjoying the warmer weather and preparing for another trip in July.
As always, THERE ARE NO SECRETS!
.png)



No comments:
Post a Comment