Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Change your thought process

GO HEAVY OR GO HOME!

Have you ever noticed how many of the people who shout that to the rafters of the gym are beat up and broke down?  Do a blog search on all the dudes who train heavy and hard and I guarantee somewhere they talk about injury.  It comes with the territory.  But does it have to? 

I cannot fathom how strength training and hypertrophy training are productive if they leave you broken.  Even more so if you are an athlete.  The training is supposed to make you injury resistant, not be the cause of your injuries.  How is that helpful to have your athletes all broken up because of your training protocol??

The fact of the matter is this: he larger the muscles, the more force they have the potential of creating.  It is much the same with everything, bigger is usually better.  Now, dont get me wrong, there are some small dudes who are powerful, but in general, muscle size will help.  The best part of all of this typed vomit is this: you dont need to train heavy all the time to make consistent muscle gains. 

ENTER VOLUME.  My current work environment allows me to see some interesting things.  One of which is the effects of high volume on muscle size.  I have met some crazy individuals over the years capable of incredible feats, but the biggest strongest mofos I have spent time around have 1 thing in common: they train ALL THE TIME.  Is this time consuming?  For us "Joes" yes, most of us are working a 9 to 5 with family and other responsibilities.  However, you can work it in 10 minutes here or there, and do it in addition to your strength training.

Some of the biggest, baddest dudes do 100 dips, 100 push-ups, 100 pull-ups, twice a day in sets of 10-20.  This is in addition to their regular training with weights.  What does this do?  Well, for one thing it makes them 240 pounds of pure muscle on a shit diet.

SO how do you do it?  Wake up 15 minute earlier then normal and hammer out sets of 10 push-ups and dips for 15 straight minutes.  Take 10 minutes at lunch and do the same.  At night before bed add some pull-ups.  Do it 7 days a week in addition to your current workout.

Do this for 3 months straight and report back to me.  That is if you have the testicular fortitude!  This wont be easy, so make up your mind and get it done.

Next time I will speak on how to incorporate volume weight workouts with strength to make consistent, injury free gains for the LONG run.  We aren't getting any younger boys and girls!

Monday I did the same workout as last Monday, just upped my weights by 5 pounds.  Today I did:

-Incline bench: 4x10
super set with
-Fat gripz chest supported row: 4x10

-Decline db press: 4x10
super set with
-inverted row: 4x10

-Suspension strap push-ups: 4x10
super set with
-S. strap reverse fly: 4x10.

Then 3 times through the cardio circuit.  When was the last time you did a minute straight up jumping jacks, 3 times through?  I remember that being easy when I was a kid...now?  CALF DESTRUCTION!

THERE ARE NO SECRETS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment