This is exactly what I am going to start doing. Instead of complaining about what is out there, I am going to start giving out free training advice. I wont make false promises, or tell you how to get freaky huge and ripped, I will just simply lay it out for you to play it out.
What will follow will be examples of training routines and diet/nutrition to reach your goals. Focus will be on size, strength, conditioning, etc. but I am up for anything. The only guarantee I will give you is if you follow what I say to a "T", don't cut corners, and work your ass off 100% every time you train, you will achieve your goals.
Please don't expect this to be packaged all nice and neat and shiny. It will be what it is, a basic program to reach your goals. With that, I am going to start with this.
MUSCLE SIZE Part 1:
If you are looking to strictly gain muscular size, hypertrophy, you are going to have to train a bit differently then straight strength. This is common knowledge, but a lot of lifters who want to be bull strong will start to stray from the path if their PR numbers drop off a little. You are going to have to swallow your pride and realize that your goal here is to get bigger.
Now one of my chief complaints with the 'net is that many trainers who write about how to get "freaky huge" are not big at all. Let me be the first to say that I am not big either. After my last surgery I went after some size goals and got myself back up to 235 with 19" biceps DRUG FREE. I gained 30 pounds of mass in a little over a month and I had a lot of people asking me what the hell I was using to gain so much in so little. I will tell you the secret: there is no secret! Eating the way you are supposed to eat and training specifically for size will add mass to ANYONE, no matter how hard of a gainer you are.
First up was my training. As much as the gurus want to argue this with you, I have seen it in myself and in people I have trained: THE SINGLE BEST WAY TO ADD MASS IS TIME UNDER TENSION. Period. Rest periods dont much matter, number of sets dont much matter, but the actuall time the muscle is under tension is what will add mass.
There are several ways to increase time under tension. One popular way is the DoggCrapp method of rest/pause. Another is to do super or giant sets. I have done it all, and I personally like super slow.
Now is when many of you will run and hide. Super slow? WTF?? Yes, super slow. Lower the weight to a 5 count, then explode it back up. Super slow eccentric then blast the concentric up hard and fast. Yes, this wil require you to use LESS weight then you are used to, but it will break you down fast! I dont really know what to tell you percentage wise, it is more trial and error, grab a weight and go. If you can get at least 8 good reps, the weight was good. If you get more then 12, go up, if you get less then 8 go down. Pretty simple!
Because you are training super slow you will not need many sets and you wont need many exercises. 2-3 sets is all I do, and I like to mix in some FST-7 at the end for the bodypart I am working: FST-7. You will find that you will hit the wall quick, so doing 150 reps just is not possible or necessary.
You will be training 6 days a week, each body part twice a week. There will be 2-3 exercises per bodypart plus the FST-7 at the end. Rest periods between sets will be 2-3 minutes. I like short resting periods, but new studies are showing rest is not as important as we once thought. That doesn't mean rest 5 minutes, but dont freak out if you rest longer then 2!
So let's wrap it up quick for part 1:
-Super slow, 5 second eccentric, explode the concentric.
-8-12 reps per set
-2-3 sets per exercise
-2-3 exercises per bodypart
-6 days a week, each bodypart twice a week
-Finish the bodypart with FST-7
Part 2 will focus on eating to gain lean mass. It may go against everything you have ever heard.
Good stuff Rick! Looking forward to seeing what you've got to say on everything.
ReplyDelete