Saturday, January 28, 2012

Muscle Size part 2

Let me explain a couple things before we get into the next installment of this article...or rambling...or whatever it is.

FST-7: This is a training method developed by Hany Rambod and used by a lot of pro bodybuilders.  Basically, at the end of your workout you find an isolation movement for the body part you are working, then you do 7 sets of 8 or more reps, resting only 20-45 seconds between sets.  I like to keep the rest to 20 or under.  The idea here is to basically stretch the fascia, or the sheath covering the muscle.  This allows the muscles to grow larger.  I like it because it blows me up.  I have never got a pump or lactic acid burn like I have with FST-7.  ADDED: DO THESE REPS AT NORMAL SPEED, NO SUPER SLOW FOR THE FST-7!

Also, I can't stress enough that you MUST be reaching your limits on these sets.  When you get to your last rep, you should not be able to get another one.  I like to reach my limit, knowing that I can't do another single rep, then do the 5 second eccentric with the last rep and have my spotter grab it and rack it.  Your eccentric is ALWAYS stronger then your concentric.

Finally, let's talk a bit about dedication.  Nothing is worse then someone doing a program for 2 weeks then complaining that it doesn't work.  I am not guaranteeing freaky size because I think that is bullshit and a false claim.  You will add muscle, that I can guarantee.  Be it 3 pounds or 10 pounds, muscle gain is muscle gain.  You have to be dedicated, you have to stay the course.  You cant be drinking 10 beers every night and sleeping 2 hours then bitching and moaning that it doesn't work.  Give me 16 weeks, this WILL put muscle on your frame.

Alright, now with that out of the way, let's go with part 2.  I mistakenly said I would be discussing eating, but I want to finish the "program" first so everyone isn't jumping all over the place looking for info.

We take the basics that I talked about yesterday:

-Super slow, 5 second eccentric, explode the concentric.
-8-12 reps per set

-2-3 sets per exercise
-2-3 exercises per bodypart
-6 days a week, each bodypart twice a week
-Finish the bodypart with FST-7


With that we can get into the backbone of the program.  I wont separate by days of the week, but rather just day 1-day 6.  Most of you should know your bodies enough to know how much you can take or not take.  Since the total working time is short, there should be ample recovery from day to day.

Day 1
I start with chest because my chest is pathetic.  The surgeries have limited me to how much I can do with my chest, and every time I start to make gains I have to get cut open again and everything atrophies.  Many like to start with legs, but my wheels are my best body part, so I save that for last.

-chest exercise (bench, incline bench, machine bench) for 3 sets of 8-12 reps.  Perform 4-5 warm-up sets prior to the 2 work sets.  Remember, the weight is moved in a 5 second eccentric (lowering/stretching) phase and a fast explosive concentric (rising/flexing)  phase.  Rest 60-120 seconds between sets.

Rest 120 seconds

-chest exercise (db chest press, incline dbs, machine chest press from all angles) 2 sets of 8-12 reps.  Same rest.

-chest exercise (isolation) 2 sets of 8-10 reps.

-FST-7: use machine flys, cross overs, etc.  Something where you can really isolate the muscle and the chance for injury is slim.  7 sets of 8+ reps, 20-45 seconds rest in between.

I train back next.  Some find it difficult to do a 5 count eccentric on back because of the positions your body are in.  To help combat this, I typically will do exercises such as pull-downs with a variety of handles, chest supported row machines, seated rows, 1-arm rows, inverted pull-ups

I stay away from things like bent over rows and deadlifts as it makes a 5 second eccentric phase tough.  Don't worry, you can always go back to those lifts in 16 weeks or so when it is time to get strong again.

So, after chest I do back:

-back exercise (pull-ups is a good start!) 3 sets of 8-12 reps.  Warm up with some light pull-downs.  Rest, etc. the same as above.

-back exercise (chest supported or seated rows, 1-arm rows) 2 sets 8-12 reps.

-back exercise (underhand pull-downs work nice here!) 2 sets 8-12 reps.

-FST-7: my favorite for back is standing pull-overs.  These blow my lats to pieces!

That is it for chest and back.  I know, some of you are going to complain: NO DEADLIFTING????  NO ROWING?????  Like I said, let's focus on muscle SIZE and we will get back to the big movements when we talk about strength.

So that's it for day 1.  I know some of you are scared of the low volume, but think TIME UNDER TENSION.  Each one of your sets should take more then a minute to complete, so the total time under tension is increased.

I have some running to do.  I will post up part 3 later.

No comments:

Post a Comment