When you drove 1700 miles in a car with 4 kids age 8 and under, 2 of them approaching 2, you get tested to the max. You learn a lot about yourself and your ability to withstand pure torture. HA!
You also learn a lot about the people driving around you. With that, I bring you my top pet peeves of driving:
#1- Cruise Control. Your car came with cruise control for a reason. USE IT. Passing me at 100 mph, then slowing down to the point where I have to pull into the left lane to pass you, then speeding up again so I can't pass you, then slowing down so I can pass you, then flying by me again, etc. is just DUMB. Find a speed, click that little button that says CRUISE CONTROL, and drive. Normally 4-6 over the posted speed limit should be just fine.
#2- Turning signals. Yes, when you are changing lanes on a multiple lane highway you are required, BY LAW, to use your turning signals. Abruptly jumping from lane to lane on a 6 lane highway is not only DUMB, but it is also very unsafe to yourself and those around you. By using your turning signal, you are letting me and those around you know exactly what you plan on doing. This way, we dont both try to enter the same lane at the same time. Understand? It doesnt take much effort to just reach up, click it on, merge, click it off. Do it often and it will become second nature.
#3- The Left Lane. Really people? Really? The left lane exists for two reasons. The first is passing. The second is getting over to give a cushion of space to merging cars, emergency vehicles, and people who have car issues. That is it. The left lane is NOT for driving. If you are one of those inconsiderate drivers who uses the left lane for travel you should do the rest of us a favor and fly or take a bus. There is no reason except for emergencies that anyone should have to brake on the expressway. If we all used our cruise controls and utilized the left lane for passing only, we would all have a smooth trip.
And the left lane rule is still in effect when there are multiple lanes of travel. If someone is traveling slow on a multi lane highway, and they are using the center lane, simply merge to the left and pass them. Flying by someone in the right lane, while someone else is flying by the same driver in the left lane, not only causes massive confusion but also leads to both of the passers then trying to converge into the same lane, most likely without using turning signals. Then you crash. Then the rest of us sit and wait. COME ON MAN!
#4- Right/Left Lane Closed Ahead. Yes, this should be self explanatory, however, there are always a few knuckleheads who think it is okay to drive 90 past the huge line of intelligent drivers who have already got over because a lane is closed ahead. These awesome drivers will accelerate all the way to the point where the lane actually ends, then expect one of us to let them in. It doesnt work that way SON! We are smart drivers. When the sign said the the lane was closing, we got over. Yes, we dont like sitting in stopped traffic anymore then you do, but we realize if EVERYONE got over when they first saw the sign, there would be no stopped traffic. We would all merrily drive through the construction area then head on our ways. But nooooo, there are always those chosen few who think they can drive like idiots, then be allowed over when they so chose. I love when I am the last in line right when the lane ends and some young punk wants in. Not on my watch my inconsiderate friend. My favorite is when big trucks get right in the middle so no one can pass. Thank you fellas! You understand because the road is your job.
#5- Inclement weather. Though I didnt experience this in my trip south, I do experience everyday on my way to work. If it snows a dusting, Interstate 80 ALWAYS shuts down in PA. Why? Because some people think because they are driving a SUV that they can still go 75 in the snow. Newsflash, YOU CAN'T. Slow down when the weather calls for it. If you have ever been on the highway in thick fog, heavy rain, or white out snow, you can see how quick things can turn deadly. When the weather turns bad, I always take the back roads to work. Yes, it takes a little longer because the roads aren't cleaned, but I will take my chances on a unused back road with 6" of snow on it then the interstate with a dusting because someone will ALWAYS drive too fast and I dont want to be beside them when they make that mistake. Use your head and drive as the weather calls for it.
That is my list! Other then that, my vacation was great. I got to see the Atlanta Aquarium. My kids loved it and the huge ass tank with the whale sharks was bad ass. It is a little pricey, but it was good.
Me, the beard, and a Big Ass Fish.
The massive whale sharks converge. This tank is the largest in the world.
The dolphin show was also amazing and worth the price. My sons loved it and just kept pointing and going WOOOOOO!!!!
We also went to Bass Pro Shop and I scored 10 new lures. I know this much, come the spring there are some fish that are going to bow to the mercy of the Rapala! If you have never been to a Bass Pro Shop and you love the outdoors, I suggest you get your a$$ to one! Amazing place that has everything you could ever want. I am going to fish every single chance I get this year and I am excited to head out west a little on a weekend trip with the wife to get some MONSTER cats!
You know, going on vacation is always fun, but it is nice to be back home. Another week or so and I can begin training again!! Looking forward to a little lifting, I miss it a lot. Also I am going to begin working on some strength workouts to post up here for those looking for training info. It was good to see my old friend Jedd Johnson stop by and comment up as well!
Any other readers, if you have any questions on training post up a comment, or if you prefer, email me at rickwalker.cscs@gmail.com. I will be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability, or point you in the right direction if I can't. Ask anything training related: weight loss, weight gain, strength, muscle, diet, sport specific, etc.
Looking forward to the weekend and spending some time with Big Mike Rinderle and his wife. Mike has a deadlift meet this weekend and is looking to check a 500 into the books. Easy money Mike!
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment